Greater Baton Rouge Chapter, Association of Fundraising Professionals
January Virtual Meeting
Tuesday, January 11, 2022
11:45 am – 1:00 pm
Emergency Fundraising for ‘Non-Emergency’ Organizations
Rebecca Davies, Global Head of Humanitarian Fundraising, Save the Children
Every day there's a new humanitarian emergency in the headlines. And we know this will happen more and more: the climate crisis will stress and take lives, and damage and destroy cities and countries. But organizations like Save the Children, MSF, and the Red Cross make up only a fraction of the non-profit sector, yet during a "CNN emergency", can seem to eclipse need and donation asks for arts, education, religion, and other social welfare agencies.
You don't need to work from an international organization to do emergency fundraising. What's YOUR organization's emergency, and how can you learn to seize or create moments of opportunity to raise more gifts?
In this session, fundraisers will learn:
1) Fundraising preparedness for and optimization of sudden-onset emergencies and opportunities, and receive a checklist of what needs to be in place for: ways of working, digital, donor care, high-value donors, community fundraising, mass fundraising, stewardship and accountability, and After Action Reviews
2) How to make an emergency relevant to your cause without 'mission creep' (including lessons learned from Save the Children and COVID)
3) How to communicate with donors and keep them close: in person, direct response, and social media
4) How to pivot your skills as a fundraiser to support program operations during an emergency
5) How to elevate your own 'emergency' with the media and other wave-makers
Leading this session is Rebecca Davies, who has over 15 years in the humanitarian sector. She was the Director of Fundraising at MSF/Doctors Without Borders Canada, and is currently the Global Head of International Humanitarian Fundraising at Save the Children. She is a sessional lecturer at McMaster University and Humber College. She holds a B.A. from University of Toronto.
CFRE Approved Credit Hours: 1 PT
$10 Registration fee for Members
$20 Registration fee for Non-Members
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER